7.27.2014

Birds, Buds, and Bugs

I know it is one thing to go forth as a nature-lover, and quite another to go forth in a spirit of cold, calculating, exact science. I call myself a nature-lover and not a scientific naturalist. All that science has to tell me is welcome, is, indeed eagerly sought for. I must know as well as feel. I am not merely contented, like Wordsworth's poet, to enjoy what others understand. I must also; but above all things, I must enjoy.

~ John Burroughs


Solitary Sandpiper

Fall migration is underway. The two retention ponds at the prairie parcel of Pheasant Branch Conservancy are attracting Solitary Sandpipers, one of the first migrants to pass through southern Wisconsin (map). I saw six of them this morning. In their company was a single Spotted Sandpiper and Killdeer. A young Great Blue Heron also stopped by to catch a few small fish.


Solitary Sandpiper


Solitary Sandpiper


Great Blue Heron

The Sedge Wrens have settled in and I saw my first fledged Common Yellowthroats of the summer breeding season. Though I've been spending many hours birding and conducting nature photography at Pheasant Branch Conservancy, I haven't heard a peep out of the chats in a couple of weeks—perhaps they have left after all. There are fewer Orchard Orioles, Baltimore Orioles, and Yellow Warblers, too—birds are dispersing. A couple days ago saw a large flock of Cliff Swallows perched in the tall grass trying to keep out of the wind, but they were gone the following day. The yellowthroats and Indigo Buntings will still be with us for a while yet, but soon the prairie will begin to fade in sound and change in color.


Common Yellowthroat


Indigo Bunting


Bergamot

If you're in the Madison area, you really ought to check out Pope Farm Conservancy right now—it's as awesome and beautiful as I've ever witnessed it. Pope Farm is known locally for its large sunflower field, but they aren't open yet! Most of these wildflower photographs were taken there yesterday. Should you visit, consider becoming a member of the friends group!


Culver's Root


Mountain Mint


Blue Lobelia


Starry Campion


Nodding Onion


Red-legged Spittlebug

I've been pretty busy during the summer birding season. I may have an opportunity for one more July blog post. If not, my first August entry will include my fall field trip schedule. It looks like I'll be leading five field trips at Pheasant Branch Conservancy from August to October. I might take a brief break from blogging in preparation for fall migration. Naturally, if I find something really cool I will always post it here. However, if you're on Facebook, you might want to check out Wisconsin Birding and Wisconsin Naturalists.


Black Swallowtail caterpillar


Goldenrod Crab Spider


Viceroy


Robber Fly


Jumping Spider Phidippus clarus

Pheasant Branch, Dane, US-WI
Jul 27, 2014 6:15 AM - 10:00 AM
53 species

Mallard
Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Sedge Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

All images © 2014 Mike McDowell