7.29.2014

The Peacock Fly: Callopistromyia annulipes



I think these tiny picture-winged flies are pretty darn cool. And by tiny, I'm talking 4 to 6 millimeters in length. I first photographed a Peacock Fly a couple months ago. Stumbling upon them today at Pheasant Branch Conservancy, I learned two things: One, their wings reflect blue iridescence at a certain angle of light. Two, there's virtually no information about these amazing insects on the Internet!



They raise and flick their wings in courtship display to attract a mate.



Um, so, yeah, right. I'm not really sure what this one is doing.



They can look a little menacing...



But they're also kind of endearing.





Hey! Where's this one going?



Ah! Another Peacock Fly!



Hello! Wings up!



Well, well, well!



Only they know.



The Peacock Fly!


Green Sweat Bee Augochloropsis metallica


Laphria Robber Fly (possibly Laphria canid)



All images © 2014 Mike McDowell